We’ll do a video page first.
- Create a new post
- Switch from “visual” to “text” in the control panel.
- To add a video, copy the “embed code” from youtube.
- Paste the video in where you want it.
Go to wordpress.com
Now, for Soundcloud.
- Log into your account.
- Hit the “share” button on the player of the file you want to embed.
- Now…DO NOT just copy the code like from youtube.
- You’ll see several buttons, Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, WordPress, Email, Stumble Upon, Blogger, Myspace
- Make sure you hit the WORDPRESS BUTTON.
- Now, DO NOT customize the player. You’ll get into trouble there. That feature is more for wordpress.org, which is different then we are learning here.
- Go ahead and copy the code, and drop it in. It should look like this:
It’s been awhile since I’ve signed up for a new account, so you may need to go up to your name in the upper right hand corner, scroll over it, and go to “dashbaord.”
Before we do anything else…pick a theme. Go to “appearance” (2/3 of the way down the page), and “themes.” Take some time to play with these.
These themes are MUCH easier to use than the Drupal ones.
So, remember how you typed everything out in Drupal in code….so if you wanted a new paragraph, you’d have to seperate lines with…
Well, there are still cases where you’re going to have to do that. However, for the most part, you can now create posts just like a word doc.
Go to…posts/add new.
Put in a headline.
Notice, there are two tabs. “Visual” and “Text.”
Visual will let you create a post in a way that you’re used to doing. Instead of </br>, just highlight the word, and hit the B in the toolbar to bold it.
Instead of using code to create a link, just highlight the text and then click the picture of the chain, and insert the URL (full address from the top web bar. For example http://www.redeyechicago.com/news/chi-drew-peterson-found-guilty-of-murder-20120906,0,7052732.story)
Before break, do two paragraphs. Use bold, italics, and create a link out to something.